Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lentils

Definitely going backwards through the pictures.  I started with lentils in my bean/legume quest.  They are tiny.  I suspected as I got back on this dried bean band-wagon I should start with something easy.  So lentils it was.  PLUS - when in doubt you can pretty much soak/cook to death and they still taste yummy.  So I made lentils.  Around the same time my friend, Tara, posted a recipe for meatballs.  Can't say that I have ever made meatballs.  Well I can buy the frozen variety and throw them in the corckpot with jelly and chili sauce but to actually ball them up from raw meat?  Can't say I have ever done that.  But now meatloaf, I can do.  And so I did.  It made for a good few days of foods.  Almost healthy if that old persons harris teeter (as I like to call it) hadn't gone and had meatloaf mix in the butcher area.  Oh well, low fat turkey breast probably wouldnt have been as tasty.

2 comments:

tara. said...

yum! it's funny 'cause even though i always make meatballs, i never make meatloaf! i've thought about making one using the meatball ingredients. do you think that would work? what else do you put in yours?

i like lentils, too, 'cause you don't have to soak them before using. i made a delicious soup with bacon, onions, lentils, carrots, and chicken broth. might have to post that baby...my co-hort elizabeth posted a lovely looking soup with lentils too...

i got some of those tiny puy lentils to try...is that what these are?

Anonymous said...

i usually try to add a variety of veggies - spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic... i think this one also had sun-dried tomatoes
egg, cheesse, bread crumbs
it was really tasty - i ate more than my fair share per serving...
have no idea what type of lentils these were
i thought elizabeth's lentils were blueberries at first glance