Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

When I first made the plans to be in MKE this past week I had also looked into flying to NJ.  I have done that in the past and it wasn't a bad round trip way to travel for work and go to NJ for a few days.  Unfortunately over the years the flights changed and I didn't find anything convenient.  So instead I will be hostessing Easter dinner here this afternoon for a few friends.  My mom is on her way to AZ.  That is if the fog ever clears at the airport.

I was thinking back over other Easters in the process.  Aaah, the luxury of the new laptop to sit off and just purge the brain for a little bit.  What's the Story Morning Glory playing on Grooveshark helps as well....

Shall we go to St. Thomas for Easter?  Actually we did this a few times when I was younger.  Second grade...  was that the year I got swimmer's ear?  I still religiously use ear drops whenever I swim.  It is an odd step in transition.  I think that was the year I got a hollow chocolate easter egg from one of the stores on the island.  The Easter bunny shopped locally instead of packing it ahead of time.  The next year we left on Easter.  I got a stuffed lamb in my basket and it came along for the trip with us.  I beleive "Lamby" is still upstairs in a bag with some other stuffed animals.  That was the year I got sun poisoning.  And then there was the high school trip to Puerto Rico.  We took a day trip to St. Thomas.  No ailments that time.  But I did make up for it with some mono when we went over Christmas a few years later....  Let's change venues...

In middle school I think we stayed home more often.  My mom (or should I say the Easter bunny) took to creating scavenger hunts for Easter morning.  There would be a clue in my basket and all sorts of good things hidden around the house.  It must have pissed my dad off that she spent a good bit of money on Easter presents.  Just saying mom....  After that there is a bit of a void...  I do remember making an egg shaped cake one year to take to my Uncle's.  I suspect I celebrated Easter with Jen when I was in Bermuda.  And then that brings us to the Charlotte years.

The first year here in Charlotte.  I just moved here.  I just met Maya and her friends.  Angie & I decorated eggs.  Oh that reminds me I have some Easter decorations in the closet that she gave me all those years ago.  Hmmm - wonder if I can yuck them out before company arrives.  We went to that restaurant that is now Cantina over on East for dinner.  Z was working there.  And then he and I went to a party at a friend's parent's house.  Although I think the true scenario was the parents were away and their home was far more condusive to entertaining with a pool table, pool and hot tub than anyone's apartment at the time. 

Year two - that was the pot luck year.  And I think it has been odd varieties of here and there every since. 

3 comments:

tara. said...

cool history of easters past...i guess easter was always spring break time at school, hence the vacays? i don't think we ever went anywhere. i've never been to any of the beachy type places you frequent...weird, huh? unless you count sydney, but i didn't sit on the beach :). that hasn't changed since high school!

hope you have a lovely easter celebration with your friends! we don't really have any of those yet here. so we're sitting on the couch today and doing something later in the week with matt...weird to be so far away from the parents!

xo.

Happy Holidays said...

well i have lucked out in finding some great friends that just happen to be neighbors... like family away from NJ...

as for the lack of beach travel... the consistency is nice... glad that some things havent changed...

crowded house is on Absolute Radio as I am typing...

listen to Pandora on my BlackBeryy... Still patiently waiting for my BB to have an Absolute App..

tara. said...

that's great that you have found some great friends. i find it gets much much harder as i get older to form meaningful friendships.

the funny thing about beaches is that i actually love the beach and the water...i just like to be there when it's blustery and no one else is around! he he.

gotta check out absolute. thanks for the tip :).

hope you're enjoying your easter celebrations!