Thursday, April 22, 2010

Did somone say soup?

Somewhere in February I decided I would stop buying canned beans/legumes and try to reconstitute them from scratch.  I had some success with it at a younger age and then I lost the knack and prepared some really nasty meals with hard/dry/tough beans.  This winter I was more successful.  I even threw some in my soup.
I think this was navy white beans with chicken and spinach.  Would have been wise of me to save the recipe.  This isn't the largest pot I own.  I inheritted a big yellow pot from my dad.  This 5qt deal makes plenty.  I could practically wash the dog in the other one.

I also made some brocoli soup.  This was towards the end of February.  I was getting ready to head out on my first trip of the season.  I had a whole lot of brocoli in the fridge and some other veggies.  I decided to cook them down, puree and call it soup.  This I remember as being YUMMY even without any cream or cheese ingredient like you normally see in brocoli soup.

I also made a tomato soup.  That one did not warrant any pictures.  I have made it before.  I think of it as being healthier than the canned variety.  Ironically it is also sweeter.  It calls for orange juice.  I DO have this recipe.  It is in one of my Silver Palate cookbooks.  To give it some protein I added some black beans.  Overall I would call it belly-fill.  Tasty but doesnt really leave you wanting more or overly full.  I say all this because I found some of it leftover in the fridge at work yesterday.  I hadn't missed it or been tempted to finish it.  It's a once a winter type of soup.

2 comments:

tara. said...

those both look delicious! i love soup. i recently tried buying dried beans also; they are delicious and i love the way they look (weird, i know). but i put them in a soup and used way too many and it was so filling you could only eat like 2 spoons before getting full. have to work on that :).

i am always wanting to find a tomato soup that is made from scratch that tastes like cambell's. i hate to say it, but that's still what tastes like tomato soup to me...although the other day i had this tomato soup out that was incredibly good...

i hope you wash the dog after the soup is out of pot , he he. :).

Anonymous said...

i like cooking with the beans - they make me feel like i am being really productive...
i havent made a multi bean soup before... my friend suggested it so we shall see - think i will start soaking this morning
i usually use the whole bag - i never think to only soak some at a time... you may have hit on something
tomato soup from scratch is hard... i have resolved with myself that campbells is the way to go... most others taste like a variation to marinara sauce to me