Saturday, October 24, 2009

Vicksburg National Military Park

I keep calling it the battlefield, which it it, but above is the official name. It is the main reason I extended my business trip and came out this way. I don't know what I expected but I am pretty sure what I found wasn't what I had in mind.
At the entrance of the park - like all National Parks - there is a welcome center with information on the site, a gift shop and a movie. The movie helped. Unlike others in my family I am not well versed on the battles of the war. The movie explained how Grant and Sherman moved in, the reasoning to their tactics, the decisions made by the Confederacy and how some of it is still studied today by the military.
And then off I went for a 16 mile drive or so. I need to do some research on how the park came about. To state that there are multiple monuments throughout the park would be an understatement. I am curious as to how they all came about.
The path of the park takes you first along Union lines. There are markers and points of interest along the way. Then you meander back along Confederate lines. To think of the time spent and the lives lost makes it all very sobering.
It made for an interesting day.

Next time - I am staying for a cooking class for sure!

No comments: