Saturday, October 24, 2009

Driving Tour

Besides picking Shannon's brain I also requested some info from the Vicksburg CVB. The booklet and map they sent ahead of time was helpful. It gave me a good idea of what else was there and the lay of the land. A big piece that seemed to be highlighted was a driving tour of the city. There were 2 routes. Originally I thought - driving around the city is surely a waste of time. But when the day turned out gray and blustery I decided to give it a try. It was worth it. A lot of the streets are steeped in history but don't necessarily require walking all around.
So I left Cedar Grove and meandered one way on the blue trail (also in search of gas) then headed back on the red trail towards the battlefield.
Overlooking the Mississippi was probably the most impressive.
Various historical markers along random streets marking battle was also unqiue. Helps you realise why it is so hard to forget for the people who live there day in and day out.
The only stop I made on the drive was the Old Court House. There were all sorts of pieces on display from all eras. I avoided the clothing room - it so gives me the heebie jeebies. But the room with all the china was neat. Some of the silver was beautiful. I can only imagine what it looked like all polished and on display in the homes.
Upstairs was the court room. The 24 foot ceilings - WOW!
And the fact I learned in that leg - Jefferson Davis I'd from Vicksburg. And here I always thought he was from SC - don't know why.

No comments: