Thursday, October 22, 2009

birthday

The actual day was spent traveling to Mississippi. Truth be told - I don't know how or why we decided that would be a good time for me to go. But off I went. I was excited as I knew I could grab dinner at Giadinas for my birthday. Wasn't sure if I would have company but new I would enjoy myself none the less. That is probably an understatement.
I envisioned myself sitting at the bar having some dinner doing some people watching. On a Tuesday night I suspected the people watching would be limited. I was wrong. A dinner party had reserved the dining room for the evening. And the people for dinner were quite entertaining.
I spoke for some time to a couple from MI. They were nice and interesting people. We discussed what brought us to MS. Their story was more interesting than mine. They were there on a mystery tour me work. When they went on for dinner I sat by myself for a while.
Ahhh and this sounds vane but... When in a small town that employees mostly men for 2 large manufacturing companies - single blonde girl (I suppose at 40 I can't be considered girl) doesn't go unnoticed for very long. I ended up having a very random course of conversations with one of the locals. Well he was a transplant but more local than me. I have to say it was rather fun - we talked work, sports, kids (his obviously) and how Yankees find themselves in the Delta. I liked the fact there was no pressure to promote my turning 40. I liked the annonymity. I liked that I knew I would wake up the next day and spend it with some of the nicest people around.
So it may have been mostly strangers and stuff but I enjoyed it.
Next time I will stay longer.

No comments: