Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cedar Grove

To start my day of site-seeing I headed over to Cedar Grove Mansion. It is a B+B so I hoped I could get some breakfast. Shannon has been telling me about this for years... There is still damage to the house from the Civil War.
So I found my way there. It was a chilly cloudy day that unfortunately accentuated the gloom and not the beauty of the old buildings (and city). I walked around back past this quaint pool and through the back door. This part of the house was definitely modernized for travelers. After discussion of the cost of breakfast (since I wasn't staying at the home) I was seated in a dinner room that looked like it could have been a porch at some point. And breakfast was wonderful - blueberry pancakes with whipped cream, bacon, eggs, coffee. Truth be told it kept me going all day.
After breakfast I tool a self guided walking tour of the home. The gaping hole in the front door and palor floor from Union cannonballs definitely makes you think. And they had a bunch of other original pieces in the house as well. The story goes Grant stayed in the house after the seige of Vicksburg so it wasn't destroyed. I walked around the gardens as well. Oh to have such a yard - gardens, fountains, fish ponds, statues (huh-kinda sounds like my parents yard - theirs had a more Jersey feel to it however).
I am glad I made my way over there.

No comments: