Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Day

I guess I should document that we did in fact have some sort of wintry mix this month.  I have to say I was quite surprised at the results.  They said a storm would be moving in Friday night - around 6pm.  I took that as a valid excuse to forgo swimming.  Around 4:30pm yesterday someone commented that it was already snowing.  I had to laugh - I saw maybe 2 or 3 flakes after truly straining my vision out the office window.  My co-worker from Boston and I had a good laugh.  And then some 15 minutes later he came by my office to say it was in fact snowing.  Sure enough - there were more flakes coming down.  So I packed up my desk and along with everyone else the hit the roads right at 5:00.  I could have screamed once I was out on the road from the parking deck....  There were so many cars.  I seriously think everyone saw that first flake and ran for their car.  It was quite beautiful the snow coming down... and it was beginning to accumulate along the landscaping.  Would you beleive by the time I made it to the second Target - not too sure on the mileage there - we'll say 20 minutes down the road at tops - the roads were ecompletely dry.  And as far as I could tell, no precipitation started around my house until the early morning hours.  So now there is some sort of frozen tundra outside my back door.  The roads are frozen, the car is frozen shut as is the garbage can, and the little guy and I struggled to maintain our footing on his potty runs... but I am not sure if it is an accumulation of snow with sleet on top or if it is just an accumulation of sleet.
I took some pictures.  I will download them shortly.
Other than that we have stayed in today.  Oh and fretted over his ear infection and potential other ailments.  And eventually hung some red neck curtains (that would be make shift curtains push-pinned over the windows to keep the cold out) as it is supposed to get down to 13F tonight.
A fun way to end January I suppose.  We were supposed to go out for dinner - restaurant week in Charlotte - but the drive just isn't worth it.  Some are walking to the Mexican restaurant.  I am making lentils and some butternut squash soup.

No comments: