Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Snow

February has brought lots of snow for my little part of NC and a whole lot of other places.  I have taken some pictures in the quiet hours of the morning of the snow undisturbed.  Of course I need to download the pics and add them here...  Maybe over the weekend.
I thought I would find something other than the snow to speak about for the month of February but it is looking like that is not the case.  Well I could talk about work but that will just stress me out...  And that already happened once today... I realised I had 2 appts yesterday, and I will have one a day every day from tomorrow through next Thursday.  Then I get a break for Friday and I am back in the mix of meetings for the following week.  Enough to make you a wee bit mad.  It's not the meetings that are bad it's that there is no time available for prep work.  So it's fine for the people scheduling.  They get breaks but when it is all filtered through to me I get no breaks.  So that's why I didn't want to think/talk about work.
So the snow.  The snow has kind of played on my memory banks...  Where to begin...
Well Valentines Day weekend always reminds me of my dad.  If you were to round out weeks and days etc, you could say that Valentines Day weekend is the last time I saw him alive.  I was in NYC for business and extended the trip to see him.  It was a Friday morning when I arrived into the city.  A car picked me up at LaGuardia and took me to a meeting in White Plains.  While in the meeting everyone spoke about the approaching storm.  I really didn't beleive that there was a big storm approaching.
At the end of the day another driver took me and our client back into the city.  To this day we talk about that man's crazy driving.  He dropped me off at Penn Station so I could catch the train to Shore Points.  I think that was the last time I was in the city.  I like trips like that.  They are on someone else's dime and they make the city seem so user friendly.  When you know those drivers etc cost and arm and a leg.  From there I lugged myself through the station to wait for my train.  Come to think of it that station holds lots of great memories as well....  LOOKOUT I am about to digress...
I remember taking the train into the city to go to a car show.  I don't think that was the first time but it is my first recollection.  My mom, dad and Terry went on that trip.  And then I fast forward to all the concerts in MSG.  Those were always fun times.  OH I lied - I was last in the city for The Police concert.  I remember calling BDA from the station to say I passed the Series 7.  I remember the time I met Lesley and Milton and Chrissy in the station for a few days in the city.  Some great memories.  This time it was just about getting the train home.
Deb called me while I was on the train.  We had a good chat.  She is always a good listener.  And helped me put things into perspective on going to see my dad.  In retrospect I can't lie that I wasn't nervous to see him.  And I think Stacey picked me up in Red Bank.  I think that was that trip.
The story of the snow was becoming more ominous by that point.  And I wasn't settled in at my parents home for very long before it was decided that I should rearrange my flight or risk being stuck in NJ for a whole lot longer than planned.
So the very next day my mom drove me and my dad up to the airport to drop me off.  And that was that.  I got on the plane having spent less than 24 hours with them and headed back to NC.  I remember every single step and every single thought from that mini-van to inside the building but I reserve them for myself.  So snow in February that's what I think of.
Let's hope March comes in like a lion and quickly turns to a lamb.  I could use some sunshine.

No comments: