Thursday, January 1, 2009

Mint Museum


I took a few more days off before the end of the year. I had some vacation time left as previously mentioned.

For New Year's Eve day we didn't do much. Originally I had wanted to go to the whitewater center. But I had been waking up with a sore throat and sore face for a few days at that point. So we laid low. We went to the Mint Museum instead. We had thought we'd squeeze in Discovery Place as well but I didn't want to deal with the New Year's Eve road closures.

The exhibit I wanted to see was the Andy Warhol exhibit. I had seen one of the Marilyn's and a Soup Can at the MOMA years before but wanted to see more. I can't complain.... they had a good sampling of his work. Much to my surprise they also had a few colaboration pieces with Keith Haring on display. I was very happy to see those. Those quasi stick figure men he draws always seem so happy. No really....
They also had a haute couture exhibit. The classic Chanel suit - still a classic.
And there permanent exhibit of china... Who knew there were that many variations of Wedgewood?! I really like that little room. I look forward to the day when they display some of the old discontinued patterns of Portmeirion.
For New Year's Eve we went to Robert & Catherine's. We had some good food, good punch (thanks Susan) and played Scene It. It was a good evening. Nothing too crazy. I did not make it to midnight and I am quite OK with that.

1 comment:

jkarout said...

I'm so gald you enjoyed the Warhol exhibit and the decorative arts from our permanent collection. That particular collection will have a lot more display area after the expansion open in Center City. The Mint Museum currently has more of its collection in storage than on display.

I hope you found our second smaller Warhol exhibition while you were here. It's called Cowboys and Indians and they're prints from the last portfolio warhol created.